Monday, July 12, 2004

2-3 Weeks of Stuff

It's been a long time since I have blogged. I now have a job at Provena-Covenant lined up to begin on Aug 2nd, which is really cool. I feel half guilty about it because I was competing for the spot with 2 of my classmates and since I like them, I didn't want to screw them out of a job but at the same time, I wasn't about to get shafted when I was clearly the best qualified, so anyway, job's mine, and it looks like both of them have good standby offers so they won't be out of luck.

July 4th has come and gone, leaving me feeling very patriotic, particularly after a really good fireworks display put on by the city of Champaign. Something about being reminded of bravery and courageous acts done on (abstractly anyway) my behalf just provides a certain sense of inspiration. Makes me feel even more like slapping uneducated people who hate our country than I did before.

Thank goodness for TKD, because the more I learn about combat, the better able I am to control urges to use them outside of the controlled environment of the dojang. I've decided not to test for blue belt, even though I could probably muddle through the test, pass, and get to purple belt mainly because I'm a perfectionist and think that my back spinning straight leg could really use some work, and I just learned my Palgwe (pronounced: Paul - gay) poomsae. It's easy and I already do it well, but I don't mind taking it a little easy.

In world affairs, Iraq's become even more of a joke than it ever was when we had 130,000 American troops there. Daily attacks are still blowing up Iraqi civilians right and left, and I'm not talking about Americans, but we're getting blamed for it - go figure. Allawi (their new PM) is now granting amnesty to all fighters who attacked the very army that put his ass in power. Gratitude at it's finest. A real stand up character. He needs to study the Kings of Jordan and Saudi Arabia who seem to have a better idea of how to be leaders. I understand that he's trying to foster a sense of pro-Iraqi nationalism, but that's a very dangerous thing considering the lives paid by foriegners to allow them to have that feeling and express it freely.

John Kerry got off his butt and picked a running mate in John Edwards. It's a great choice for him, considering Edwards' moderate stances and amazing ability to inspire people in a sincere manner. My only regret is that the ticket isn't reversed with Edwards for Pres. I'd vote for him. From what I understand Kerry asked about 100 Democrats to come on board with him on that ticket, and even asked Sen. John McCain (AZ-R) to join him. That was a stupid move. Ask a Republican to switch parties? McCain's got a legitimate shot at the Oval Office on his own, and needs the GOP to get him there. Asking him to commit political suicide is... well... indicative of the kind of leadership I expect from Kerry.

On the other hand, Bush is now apparantly not-so-subtly considering dropping Cheney from the ticket in order to move his ticket more towards the center to match Kerry's nomination. I think Bush should just step aside and let McCain run for the GOP. McCain vs. Kerry is a landslide victory for McCain because McCain actually has a legitimate record as a war hero and a consistant voting record that meshes with his spoken opinions, which contrasts with Kerry's definition of himself as "the alternative to Bush." If Bush loses, it'll be because he lost to himself, not to Kerry. How the hell did he get nominated in the first place? Kerry, the "anybody but Dean" ticket in the primaries is now the "anybody but Bush" candidate. Gotta laugh at that.

On a lighter note, I saw Spiderman 2, which was awesome. It defines youthful angst with a certain air of couth that only MARVEL comics could write. This is a rare sequel that rocks simply because it's an almost completely independent story from the first Spiderman, which gives people a new experience and something new to get excited about. In this case, the whole "choices in life" theme is beautifully painful to watch spectacularly told by Toby MacGuire as he has to try and juggle being Spiderman, being Peter Parker, going to college, keeping several jobs, dealing with the love of his life after he told her in the last movie that he didn't love her... angstiness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home